Feb 3. Storm Stories

Let's hope some calm is restored after 2 days of mayhem.  The roads are still not great, and the cold will probably keep things really icy.
As I wrote yesterday, the weather issues caused us to radically change our processes - basically, getting done whatever we could and trying to stay one step ahead of road or airport closures.  You watch the news, and hear of those disenchanted that Lake Shore Drive was blocked, or that shipments were not moving, or that flights were cancelled. 
NEWS BULLETIN - THIS WAS A 30 YEAR STORM.
What I saw over the last 2 days was a team of dedicated people who worked late into the night of the blizzard and stayed at a local hotel to be available yesterday....I saw two women with kids at home who stayed at the hotel to be ready for the next days work....I saw 2 guys on my team volunteer to drive some packages to Rockford to get them on a plane so they MIGHT make it to their destination.  These guys didn't know how the roads would be, but stepped up and did what had to be done.
In the scheme of things, such actions will be soon forgotten.  No one will really give much credit to the small group who answered the bell.  But I will remember.  The Blizzard of 2011 will be remembered (in my mind) for the dedication of a team of professionals.  I hope these folks have that same recollection, and take that attitude with them as they progress in their careers....if so, I really will have accomplished something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, Jan. 29

Friday, Oct. 21

Thursday, Dec. 29