Sunday, Dec 18

so this is how it ends...

I used to pride myself on being a decent basketball player.  up until a few years ago, I still could run the court somewhat well - I knew my limitations and played within them.  but the last few years showed me that I had best give up playing for my own good...of course, I was still better than my son, and would be for a long time, right??

so, I went to the health club yesterday with my son, who plays on the sophmore bball team.  He said he was going to shoot a bit and lift weights..so I thought I would show him a few things...maybe bully him a bit, show him who was boss, trash talk him, then go sit in the whirlpool.  so, we shot a bit.  and then the inevitable - we started covering one another.  I figured I was in for an easy time of it...but he waved an elbow under my nose like a tough player would do, and fired a jumper in the hoop.  Ok - that was a fluke.  I hit one over him.  he took it back at me.  an effortless double pump, and the ball swished.  at that point, I knew. He was now better than i was - way better, and probably had reached that point long ago.  I'd probably hurt myself if I tried to prove otherwise..  No "Great Santini" driveway game to pass the torch was needed to show who was top dog.  I accepted my fate and walked out of the gym to lift weights.  A fat, slow, middle aged guy has no business in the gym when the young fast guys are playing basketball.  I was punked.  and I am now done playing bball..for good.  something I had done for a long time, and spent many thousand hours in many gyms perfecting my now-woeful fat middle aged white guy game.

but, I am pretty sure I can beat my son at golf - because he has no interest in playing golf.  I'll probalby take him out in April and open up a can of whoop ass on the course.....that will fix everything...So there. 

some good stuff on pensions in today's Trib - I will write about that tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, Jan. 29

Friday, Oct. 21

Thursday, Dec. 29